- During Thailand’s ASEAN Chairmanship in 2019, Thailand will be organizing over 270 ASEAN meetings. Thailand is committed to making these meetings as environmentally friendly as possible, by minimizing the negative environmental impact incurred from the meetings. We call such meetings “Green Meetings”.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and several partners, including but not limited to, SCG, PTT GC, MQDC, Central Group, and BMW, take meaningful part in carrying out Green Meetings. For instance, SCG sponsors recycled paper products where possible throughout all meetings in 2019, including the 34 th and 35 th ASEAN Summits. PTT GC contributes souvenirs and meeting supplies made from recycled plastic wastes (upcycling). MQDC will turn meeting vinyl signs into handbags to be given to the 35 th Summit’s participants.
- Green Meeting serves as a model for organising meetings or seminars that utilize resources to their maximum potential to lessen the environmental impact and to promote the ideology of Circular Economy. This approach further Thailand and other ASEAN nations’ progress to fulfil ASEAN’s sustainability goals.
- All details are carefully considered when organising Green Meetings. Invitation letters and meeting documents are sent or circulated electronically to reduce paper waste. Meeting venues are chosen based on the number of participants. We make sure that the air-conditioning system is set at around 25-26 Celsius. In the case where flyers or paper documents need to be given out, we use recycled paper. We also provide paper recycle bin in all the meeting rooms.
- Food and beverage packages are made from recyclable and biodegradable materials.